"SAPISTON, a parish in the hundred of Blackbourn, county Suffolk, 3½ miles N.W. of Ixworth, its post town, and 7 from Bury St. Edmund's. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the Thet, a branch of the river Brandon. It is wholly agricultural. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ely, value £100. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient stone structure, with a thatched roof and a square embattled tower. The interior of the church contains a monument to Farmer Austin, who resided here with Bloomfield. There is a parochial school, erected by the Duke of Grafton, who is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)