" SAXMUNDHAM, a parish, post and market town in the hundred of Plomesgate, county Suffolk, 7 miles S.E. of Aldborough, and 19 N.E. of Ipswich. It is a station on the East Suffolk section of the Great Eastern railway. It is situated in a valley between two hills on the road to London, and near a small stream which falls into the Ore. The town, supposed to be of Saxon origin, is well built, comprising many modern houses. Its chief street,running N. and S., forms part of the turnpike road from London to Yarmouth. A brisk trade is done in corn and malt, considerable quantities of which are shipped from Snape and Iken wharfs for London. There are two banks and assembly rooms. It is a polling-place for the county elections. The inhabitants are plentifully supplied with water from springs. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £275, and the glebe comprises 29 acres. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich, value £275. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, has a tower containing five bells. It stands a little southward of the town, and contains tombs of the Long family. The register dates from 1558. The parochial charities produce about £52 per annum. There is a free school supported by the Long family. The house of industry was destroyed in a riot in 1766. Hurts Hall, the principal residence, is the seat of W. Long, Esq., who is lord of the manor. Market day is on Wednesday. Fairs are held on Whit-Tuesday and 23rd September."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Saxmundham in the 1840s, by Suzanna G. Burnay, ISBN 0-9542134-0-8, Sigma Books
An A4 booklet in the Suffolk Snapshots series aimed at local historians and genealogists, providing a snapshot of Saxmundham in the 1840's. Contains information from tithe maps, the 1841 census and parish records, with detailed maps and indexes for people and field names.
|Chapel [now URC], Saxmundham, Congregational|
|Cemetery, Saxmundham, Cemetery|
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Saxmundham to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Saxmundham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
This includes summary descriptions of their advertisers, including I. & J. ASHFORD, LTD., House Furnishers, High Street; THE BELL HOTEL, High Street; W. A. & A. C. CHURCHMAN, Tobacco Manufacturers, Ipswich; A. MATTINSON, Wireless Dealer, South Entrance; THE NORTH LAUNDRY (Aldeburgh) LTD., Aldeburgh; F. W. POOLE, Grocer and Wine and Spirit Merchant, Suffolk House, High Street; E.G.B. REYNOLDS, Sports Depot, Chantry Road; THE PLAYHOUSE, Church Street, and the SAXMUNDHAM GAS COMPANY LTD.
A Brief History of Saxmundham.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM385631 (Lat/Lon: 52.214053, 1.490107), Saxmundham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
The Saxmundham Roll of Honour commemorates those who gave their lives for their country in the two World Wars.