"SEMER, a parish in the hundred of Cosford, county Suffolk, 2 miles N.W. of Hadleigh, its post town, and 2 S.E. of Bildestone. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Brett, and is chiefly agricultural. Cosford union poorhouse is situated in this parish. The land is chiefly arable. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £350, and the glebe comprises 65 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £385. The church is dedicated to All Saints. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum. There is a school for both sexes. The Rev. J. Y. Cooke, M.A. and J.P., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Semer to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Semer has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM000464 (Lat/Lon: 52.079715, 0.916843), Semer which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)