"SHIPMEADOW, a parish in the hundred of Wangford, county Suffolk, 2½ miles W. of Beccles, its post town, and 3 E. of Bungay. The village, which is small and straggling, is situated on the road from Beccles to Bungay, and near the river Waveney. The inhabitants are chiefly agricultural. The Wangford union poorhouse is situated in this parish. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £220, and the glebe comprises 27 acres. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich, value £214. The church, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, has a square embattled tower. The whole structure has been thoroughly restored, and a slate roof added in lieu of the old thatched one. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum. There is a school for both sexes. In 1854 a female penitentiary for the counties of Norfolk and Suffolk was established here. Mrs. A. M. Suckling is lady of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)