National Gazetteer, 1868
Snape - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"SNAPE, a parish in the hundred of Plomesgate, county Suffolk, 3 miles S.E. of Saxmundham, its post town, and 51 from Aldborough. It is a station on the East Suffolk railway. The village, which is designated "Snape Street," is situated near the river Alde, a branch of the Ore, over which is a bridge. The parish includes the hamlet of Grumford and The Ward. There was anciently a Benedictine priory, founded by W. Martell in the 11th century as a cell to the Abbey of St. John at Colchester, but subsequently given by Henry VII. to Butley Abbey. On either side of Snape bridge are wharves, which are the means of facilitating a considerable trade in grain to the port of London and other markets. In the vicinity of the village are sand and clay pits and excellent brick earth. The living is a vicarage annexed to that of Freston, in the diocese of Norwich. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, has a tower containing three bells. The interior of the church contains a hexagonal font, on which are carved many figures. The register dates from 1544. The parochial charities produce about £8 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes. The remains of Snape Abbey are now converted into a farmhouse."
"GRUMFORD, a village in the parish of Snape, county Suffolk, 3 miles S. of Saxmundham."
"THE WARD, a hamlet in the parish of Snape, county Suffolk, 3 miles S. of Saxmundham.
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)