"SOMERSHAM, a parish in the hundred of Bosmere, county Suffolk, 5½ miles N.W. of Ipswich, its post town, and 2½ S.W. of the Claddon railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is chiefly agricultural. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £245. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The register dates from 1570. The parochial charities produce about £5 per annum, realised from town land. The Independents and Baptists have each a place of worship."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
|Chapel, Somersham, Independent|
|Chapel, Somersham, Primitive Methodist|
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Somersham to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Somersham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM079480 (Lat/Lon: 52.091504, 1.033187), Somersham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)