Stoke by Clare
"STOKE-BY-CLARE, a parish in the hundred of Risbridge, county Suffolk, 2½ miles S.W. of Clare. Sudbury is its post town. The village is situated on the N. bank of the navigable river Stour. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ely, value £77. The church, dedicated to St. Augustine, is an ancient structure, and once formed an old priory. It contains four brasses, bearing date from 1609. The register dates from 1538. The parochial charities produce about £84 per annum, of which £8 go to Brown's almshouses. There is a National school for both sexes, including infants. A modern house now stands on the site of Stoke College, which was once the seat of Elwes, the well-known miser, who died worth £800,000; and another member of the same family starved himself to death, though worth £100,000."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Descriptions and photographs of churches in the parish may be found in Simon Knott's Suffolk Churches.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Stoke by Clare to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Stoke by Clare has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL736447 (Lat/Lon: 52.073324, 0.532096), Stoke by Clare which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)