"STOWLANGTOFT, a parish in the hundred of Blackbourn, county Suffolk, 2½ miles S.E. of Ixworth, its post town, and 2 N. of the Thurston railway station. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £307. The church, dedicated to St. George, was built in 1370, and contains several carved stalls and monuments of the D'Ewes family. The church stands on the site of an ancient camp, near which Roman coins were found in 1764. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum. Stow Hall is the principal residence, and was once the seat of Sir S. D'Ewes, Bart., the antiquary, and the Rawlinsons. H. Wilson, Esq., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Stowlangtoft to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Stowlangtoft has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL956687 (Lat/Lon: 52.281993, 0.86659), Stowlangtoft which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)