"TOSTOCK, a parish in the hundred of Thedwestry, county Suffolk, 1½ mile W. of Elmswell railway station, and 7 miles E. of Bury St. Edmund's. The village is situated on the road from Bury to Ipswich. Here was formerly a mansion, once the residence of Lords North and Grey. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £210. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, contains some old carved benches for free seats, and has lately been thoroughly restored. The parochial charities produce about £10 per annum, realised from poors' estate. P. Huddleston, Esq., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Tostock to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Tostock has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL956639 (Lat/Lon: 52.238311, 0.863714), Tostock which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)