"TRIMLEY ST. MARY, a parish in the hundred of Colneis, county Suffolk, 8½ miles S.E. of Ipswich, its post town, and 9 S. of Woodbridge. The village adjoins that of Trimley St. Martin. The parish is bounded on the W. by the river Orwell. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £470, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has recently been restored. It has a painted E. window, inserted by the widow of the late E. Julian, Esq. This church and that of St. Martin are both situated in the same churchyard. The parochial charities produce about £18 per annum, realised from land. There are day and Sunday schools for both sexes. The Wesleyans have a chapel. The Duke of Hamilton is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)