"WATTISFIELD, a parish in the hundred of Blackbourn, county Suffolk, 3 miles S.W. of Botesdale, its post town, and 6 N.E. of Ixworth. The village is situated on the road from Bury St. Edmund's to Norwich. This parish contains some excellent potter's earth. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, value £370. The church is dedicated to St. Margaret. The Independents and Wesleyans have each a chapel. Henry Youngman, Esq., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Descriptions and photographs of churches in the parish may be found in Simon Knott's Suffolk Churches.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wattisfield to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Wattisfield has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM009736 (Lat/Lon: 52.323272, 0.946455), Wattisfield which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)