"WEST STOW, a parish in the hundred of Blackbourn, county Suffolk, 5 miles N.W. of Bury St. Edmund's, its post town, and 10 from Thetford. The parish includes Chimney Mills. The living is a rectory with that of Wordwell, in the diocese of Ely, value £302. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The parochial charities produce about £5 per annum. The Rev. E. R. Benyon, M.A., of Culford Hall, is lord of the manor.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Descriptions and photographs of churches in the parish may be found in Simon Knott's Suffolk Churches.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from West Stow to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which West Stow has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL811736 (Lat/Lon: 52.33087, 0.656004), West Stow which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)