"WESTHALL, a parish in the hundred of Blything, county Suffolk, 3½ miles N.E. of Halesworth. The village was formerly held by Hubert de Burgh. The principal residence is Westhall Hall, where once lived Edmund Bohun, the political writer and antiquary. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Norwich, value £150, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, contains an old font, with the emblems of the seven sacraments and the transfiguration carved on the sides. There is a school, with a small endowment. Sir R. S. Adair, Bart., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)