"WETHERDEN, a parish in the hundred of Stow, county Suffolk, 4 miles N.W. of Stowmarket, and 1½ mile S.E. of Elmswell station, on the Great Eastern railway. It is a small scattered village, and has remains of the old scat of the Sulyards. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £500, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a carved oak roof, and contains several brasses, an antique font, some old stalls, the arms of the Sulyards, and a monument to one of the Miles family. The register dates from 1538. There are a Baptist chapel and a village school. The parochial charities produce about £23 per annum, including £5, the endowment for a Sunday-school. Lord Thurlow is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Descriptions and photographs of churches in the parish may be found in Simon Knott's Suffolk Churches.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wetherden to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Wetherden has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM013640 (Lat/Lon: 52.237284, 0.946154), Wetherden which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)