"WETHERINGSETT, a parish in the hundred of Hartismere, county Suffolk, 4 miles N.W. of Debenham, 3 N.E. of Mendlesham, and 3½ S.E. of Finningham station, on the Great Eastern railway. The village includes the hamlet of Brockford, where the parish church is situated. The land is fertile, and the soil clay alternated with loam. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £714. The church is dedicated to All Saints. The register dates from 1583. The parochial charities produce £120 per annum, including the town lands and a bequest of 40s. to provide dinner for twenty poor people on Ladyday in the church. The Rev. R. Hakluyt, compiler of "Early English Voyages," was once rector."
"BROCKFORD, a hamlet in the parish of Wetheringsett, hundred of Hartismere, in the county of Suffolk, 3 miles to the N. W. of Debenham. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the rectory of Wetheringsett, in the diocese of Norwich. Near the village is Brockford Hall."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- The transcription of the section for Wetheringsett from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868).
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wetheringsett to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Wetheringsett has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM130661 (Lat/Lon: 52.25188, 1.119763), Wetheringsett which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)