"WHERSTEAD, a parish in the hundred of Samford, county Suffolk, 2 miles S. of Ipswich. The village is situated on the river Orwell. The living is vicarage in the diocese of Norwich, value £160, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The register commences in 1590. The principal residence is Wherstead Lodge, the seat of Lady Harland, who is lady of the manor and chief landowner."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Descriptions and photographs of churches in the parish may be found in Simon Knott's Suffolk Churches.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wherstead to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Wherstead has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM152403 (Lat/Lon: 52.01966, 1.134483), Wherstead which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)