"WISSINGTON, (or Wiston), a parish in the hundred of Babergh, county Suffolk, 7 miles N.W. of Colchester, and 1 mile S.W. of Nayland. The village is situated at the bridge on the river Stour, which bounds the parish on the S. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, value £300, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is dedicated to St. Mary.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Descriptions and photographs of churches in the parish may be found in Simon Knott's Suffolk Churches.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wissington to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Wissington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL958335 (Lat/Lon: 51.965801, 0.848592), Wissington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)