"YOXFORD, a parish in the hundred of Blything, county Suffolk, 6 miles S. of Halesworth, 3 N.E. of Saxmundham, and 1 mile from the Yoxford railway station on the East Suffolk section of the Great Eastern line. The village is situated in a spot frequently called the garden of Suffolk, watered by the Badingham and Yox streams, and traversed by the old road from Ipswich to Lowestoft and Yarmouth. In the immediate vicinity are Cockfield Hall, the mansion of Sir John Blois, Bart.; Grove House, of Lord Manners; the Rookery, &c. The East Suffolk constabulary have their head-quarters here, and petty sessions are held fortnightly on Wednesday. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Norwich, value £230. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, was enlarged in 1837, and contains five brasses, one of J. Norwich, in armour, bearing date 1400, another of J. Tendryng and children in shrouds dated 1485, and many monuments. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have chapels. There are National schools and a mechanics' institute. The charities produce about £10 per annum."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Yoxford to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Yoxford has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM389694 (Lat/Lon: 52.270462, 1.500192), Yoxford which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)