"ABBAS-COMBE, a parish in the hundred of HORETHORNE, county of SOMERSET, 4 miles (S. by W.) from Wincanton, containing, with Temple-Combe, 458 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Wells, and diocese of Bath and Wells, rated in the king's books at £9. 9. 4., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Worcester. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. At Temple-Combe was formerly a preceptory of Knights Templars, which at the dissolution had a revenue of £128. 7. 9." [Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Details of Somerset Heritage Centre holdings relating to this parish.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Abbas Combe to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Abbas Combe has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The Ordnance Survey 1:10560 County Series 1st edition (c.1884-1887) map of the area provided by Somerset Heritage Centre.
- The Ordnance Survey 1:10560 County Series 2nd edition (c.1900) map of the area provided by Somerset Heritage Centre.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST712226 (Lat/Lon: 51.002276, -2.411542), Abbas Combe which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)