National Gazetteer (1868) - Compton Dundon
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"COMPTON DUNDON, a parish in the hundred of Whitfey, in the county of Somerset 5 miles N.E. of Langport and 5 miles S. of the Glastonbury railway station. It is situated near the river Carey, and contains the townships of Compton Dundon, and Littleton. The manor anciently belonged to the Beauchamps. It received the suffix to its name from a lofty hill called Dundon Beacon. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £201, in the patronage of the Bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient stone edifice in the Gothic style of architecture. The register dates from 1682. The annual value of the charities is about £5. Here is a Sunday school. Lord Ilchester is lord of the manor."[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
"COMPTON, a tything in the parish of Compton Dundon, in the county of Somerset, 5 miles N.E. of Langport."
"DUNDON, a tything in the parish of Compton Dundon, in the county of Somerset, 2 miles N. of Somerton. It is situated at the foot of Dundon Hill, which is nearly 400 feet in height."
"LITTLETON, a hamlet in the parish of Compton Dundon, county Somerset, 2 miles N. of Somerton."
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]