"FOXCOTE, a parish in the hundred of Wellow, county Somerset, 6 miles N.W. of Frome, and 8 S.W. of Bath, its post town. The Bath canal passes in the vicinity. There are several mills on the rivulet which runs through the parish. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £150. The church is a stone edifice of recent date, dedicated to St. James. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Details of Somerset Heritage Centre holdings relating to this parish.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Foxcote to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Foxcote has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The Ordnance Survey 1:10560 County Series 1st edition (c.1884-1887) map of the area provided by Somerset Heritage Centre.
- The Ordnance Survey 1:10560 County Series 2nd edition (c.1900) map of the area provided by Somerset Heritage Centre.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST718552 (Lat/Lon: 51.295389, -2.405662), Foxcote which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)