"HALSE, a parish in the hundred of Williton, county Somerset, 7 miles S.W. of Taunton, its post town, 6 N.E. of Wellington, and 2 miles from Bishops Lydeard railway station. The soil is a rich loam, and subsoil marl. Tho impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £327 16s., and the vicarial for £135. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £174. The church, dedicated to St. James, is a small edifice with square tower containing five bells. The parochial charities produce about £44 per annum. There is a parochial school for both sexes, with £30 per annum, the endowment of the late Edward Prior, Esq. The Dissenters have a place of worship. Richard Chandler Alexander Prior, Esq., is lord of the manor." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Roy Parkhouse has provided a transcript of Marriages 1559-1812 from the Halse parish registers.
- David Cheek's transcript from the Baptisms, Banns, Marriages, and Burials from Halse Parish Registers.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Halse to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Halse has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The Ordnance Survey 1:10560 County Series 1st edition (c.1884-1887) map of the area provided by Somerset Heritage Centre.
- The Ordnance Survey 1:10560 County Series 2nd edition (c.1900) map of the area provided by Somerset Heritage Centre.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST140280 (Lat/Lon: 51.044632, -3.22762), Halse which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)