"HUISH CHAMPFLOWER, a parish in the hundred of Williton, county Somerset, 3 miles N.W. of Wiveliscombe, its post town, and 10 N. of Wellington. The parish, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Tone. On Brandon hills, and partly in King's Brompton, are the extensive mines of the Ebbw Vale Iron Company. The soil consists of loam and clay, with slate in the hills. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of 2254 6s. 9d. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £288. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a large stone structure, with a square tower containing five bells. There is a school for both' sexes. Sir W. C. Trevelyan is lord of the manor and chief landowner." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- David Cheek has transcribed some Baptismal, Marriage and Burial Parish Records from Huish Champflower.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Huish Champflower to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Huish Champflower has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The Ordnance Survey 1:10560 County Series 1st edition (c.1884-1887) map of the area provided by Somerset Heritage Centre.
- The Ordnance Survey 1:10560 County Series 2nd edition (c.1900) map of the area provided by Somerset Heritage Centre.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST034294 (Lat/Lon: 51.055529, -3.380056), Huish Champflower which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)