National Gazetteer (1868) - Laverton
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"LAVERTON, a parish in the hundred of Frome, county Somerset, 8½ miles S. of Bath, its post town, and 4 N. of the Frome railway station. The village, which is small, is situated about 1 mile off the turnpike road from Frome to Bath. The land is chiefly in pasture, and the low grounds are watered by a brook which flows into the river Frome. The soil in parts is a strong clay, and in others a light red loam resting on clay. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £277, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is a small ancient stone edifice dedicated to St. Mary. The register dates from the middle of the 16th century. There is a National school for both sexes. The manor is the property of the duchy of Cornwall."[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
"PEART, a tything in the parish of Laverton, county Somerset, 4 miles N. of Frome."
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]