Lydeard St Lawrence
"LYDEARD ST. LAWRENCE, a parish in the hundred of Taunton, county Somerset, 5 miles N.E. of Wiveliscombe, its post town, and 8 N.W. of Taunton. The surface is hilly, and the soil sand intermixed with clay. The village, which is small, is situated on-the road from Taunton to Dunster and Minehead. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £400. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £322. The church is a stone structure erected about the end of the 14th century, and dedicated to St. Lawrence. The register commences in 1573. There are some small charities, also a parochial school." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- David Cheek has transcribed some records from Lydeard St. Lawrence Parish Registers.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Lydeard St Lawrence to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Lydeard St Lawrence has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The Ordnance Survey 1:10560 County Series 1st edition (c.1884-1887) map of the area provided by Somerset Heritage Centre.
- The Ordnance Survey 1:10560 County Series 2nd edition (c.1900) map of the area provided by Somerset Heritage Centre.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST128324 (Lat/Lon: 51.084008, -3.245945), Lydeard St Lawrence which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)