"MILVERTON, a parish in the hundred of Milverton, county Somerset, 3½ miles N. of Wellington, its railway and post town, and 7 W. of Taunton. The parish, which is extensive, is situated on the Taunton road to Wiveliscombe, and contains the hamlets of Preston-Bowyer and Screedhay. The village, which is of great antiquity, is a petty sessions town, and was formerly a market town. In ancient times it ranked as a royal borough, and is still nominally governed by a portreeve, &c. The town consists chiefly of three irregularly built streets. The magistrates' meetings are held at Wiveliscombe, and the county court at Wellington. A portion of the inhabitants are employed in the flannel and silk factories, and some of the cottagers in weaving baize by handlooms. The soil is loamy with a subsoil of various kinds. There are some quarries of conglomerate limestone, and also of sandstone." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- The section of The National Gazetteer (1868) relating to this parish - transcribed by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Milverton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Milverton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The Ordnance Survey 1:10560 County Series 1st edition (c.1884-1887) map of the area provided by Somerset Heritage Centre.
- The Ordnance Survey 1:10560 County Series 2nd edition (c.1900) map of the area provided by Somerset Heritage Centre.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST121259 (Lat/Lon: 51.025363, -3.255043), Milverton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)