National Gazetteer (1868) - Pilton
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"PILTON, a parish chiefly in the hundred of Whitstone, but partly in that of Glaston-Twelve-Hides, county Somerset, 3 miles S.W. of Shepton-Mallet, its post town, and 5 S.E. of Wells. The village, which is irregularly built, is situated on the Fosse Way, and on the turnpike road leading to Glastonbury. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The parish comprises the hamlets of East and West Compton, Ham, and Westholme, and was a grange to Glastonbury Abbey. This parish is celebrated for its cheese, which is chiefly made in the hamlets of East and West Compton; cider is also made in large quantities, and there is an extensive brewery of long standing. A large portion of the land is in pasture, with some good arable interspersed. There are quarries of good building-stone. The appropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £245, and the vicarial for £185. The glebe comprises 29 acres.[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £300, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, or, according to others, to St. John the Baptist, has a square embattled tower containing six bells. Part of it was built in the reign of Edward III., but other portions are of later date. The church has an E. window, and contains a piscina, a carved pulpit with canopy bearing date 1618, and monuments and brasses of great antiquity. The chancel has been recently restored. There is also a district church at North-Wootton, the living of which is a perpetual curacy* with the curacy of Worminster annexed, value £300, in the patronage of the vicar. There are various charities of small amount. There is a National school for both sexes. The Wesleyans and Bible Christians have each a place of worship. Westholme, Burford, Perridge House, and Springfield House are the principal residences. W. H. P. G. Langton, Esq., is the lord of the manor. A fair is held on the Monday following the 10th September."
"EAST COMPTON, a tything in the parish of Pilton, in the county of Somerset, 1 mile S.W. of Shepton Mallet.
"HAM, a tything in the parish of Pilton, county Somerset, 2 miles S.W. of Shepton-Mallet."
"WEST COMPTON, a tything in the parish of Pilton, hundred of Whitstone, in the county of Somerset, 1 mile S.W. of Shepton Mallet.
"WESTHOLM, a tything in the parish of Pilton, county Somerset, 3 miles S.W. of Shepton-Mallet. It is joined with Holt."
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]