References in the British Library:
- 54 Geo. III. Public Local & Personal Acts, c. 183.] An act for inclosing lands in the Parish of Portishead, in the County of Somerset.. [London, 1814]. pp. 22
- Portishead, Somerset, the seaboard of Gordano. An appreciation of the town, and a practical guide ... With plan of the town [and illustrations], etc.. 1910
- The section of The National Gazetteer (1868) relating to this parish - transcribed by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Portishead to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Portishead has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The Ordnance Survey 1:10560 County Series 1st edition (c.1884-1887) map of the area provided by Somerset Heritage Centre.
- The Ordnance Survey 1:10560 County Series 2nd edition (c.1900) map of the area provided by Somerset Heritage Centre.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST457755 (Lat/Lon: 51.475899, -2.783232), Portishead which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)