"RADDINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Williton, county Somerset, 6 miles W. of Wiveliscombe, its post town, and 10 from Wellington. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Batharham, and near the Bristol and Exeter railway. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agricultural pursuits. The soil consists of a white shillet, with a subsoil of rock. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £180. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient stone structure, with a square tower containing four bells. The church was restored in 1845 and 1862. There is a Sunday-school." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Details of Somerset Heritage Centre holdings relating to this parish.
- David Cheek has transcribed some baptism records for Raddington Parish Church (1814-1836).
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Raddington to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Raddington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The Ordnance Survey 1:10560 County Series 1st edition (c.1884-1887) map of the area provided by Somerset Heritage Centre.
- The Ordnance Survey 1:10560 County Series 2nd edition (c.1900) map of the area provided by Somerset Heritage Centre.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST022268 (Lat/Lon: 51.032567, -3.395934), Raddington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)