National Gazetteer (1868) - Stoke St Mary
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"STOKE ST. MARY, a parish in the hundred of Taunton, county Somerset, 3 miles S.E. of Taunton, its post town, and 10 N. of Chard. The village is situated on the road from Taunton to Chard, and is chiefly agricultural. The soil is of a clayey nature. The parish includes the hamlet of Stoke Hill. The living is a rectory and donative in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £133. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient edifice with a tower and four bells. The Independents have a chapel. R. Mattock, Esq., is lord of the manor."[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
"BROUGHTON, a hamlet in the parish of Stoke St. Mary, hundred of Taunton, in the county of Somerset, 3 miles to the S.E. of Taunton."
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]