Stratton on the Fosse
"STRATTON-ON-THE-FOSSE, a parish in the hundred of Kilmersdon, county Somerset, 6 miles N.E. of Shepton-Mallet, and 9 from Frome. Bath is its post town. The village is on the old Fosse Way or Roman road, now part of the turnpike road leading from Bath to Shepton-Mallet. The soil is red earth, clay, and limestone; the substratum is productive of marl, coal, and ironstone. The land is principally in pasture, and the Bath market is supplied with butter from the dairy farms in this neighbourhood. On the eastern side of the road is the Roman Catholic college of Downside. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells. The church is dedicated to St. Vigor. The register dates from the middle of the last century. There is a National school for both sexes. The manor belongs to the Duchy of Cornwall." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Details of Somerset Heritage Centre holdings relating to this parish.
- Baptisms at St.Vigors, 1599-1812 (70K). (From Andy Perkins)
- Baptisms at St.Vigors, 1813-1837 (Bishop's Transcripts) (32K). (From Andy Perkins)
- Banns at St.Vigors, 1755-1788 (6K). (From Andy Perkins)
- Marriages at St.Vigors, 1599-1812 (41K). (From Andy Perkins)
- Marriages at St.Vigors, 1813-1837 (Bishop's Transcripts) (12K). (From Andy Perkins)
- Burials at St.Vigors, 1599-1812 (56K). (From Andy Perkins)
- Burials at St.Vigors, 1813-1837 (Bishop's Transcripts) (12K). (From Andy Perkins
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Stratton on the Fosse to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Stratton on the Fosse has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The Ordnance Survey 1:10560 County Series 1st edition (c.1884-1887) map of the area provided by Somerset Heritage Centre.
- The Ordnance Survey 1:10560 County Series 2nd edition (c.1900) map of the area provided by Somerset Heritage Centre.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST663504 (Lat/Lon: 51.251865, -2.484885), Stratton on the Fosse which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)