"WELLINGTON, a parish and market town in the hundred of Kingsbury, county Somerset, 13 miles S.W. of Bridgwater, and 148 from London. It is a station on the Bristol and Exeter railway, which runs through the parish. The town of Wells, situated on the road from Bath to Exeter, given by King Alfred to Bishop Asser, afterwards came to the see of Wells, and later to the families of Somerset and Popham. It is written Walintone in the Domesday survey. The town is well built and contains several streets, the chief of which is half a mile in length. It is lighted with gas, well supplied with water, has a townhall, corn and provision market, market-house, police station, and union workhouse. The inhabitants are for the most part employed in the woollen, brick, tile, and agricultural implement manufactories. Coal mines and lime quarries in the vicinity afford some employment." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Wellington Museum, run by the Wellington Museum and Local History Society, is located at 28 Fore Street, Wellington, Somerset. It is open from Easter until the end of September. The Societys web site at http://www.wellingtonmuseum.org.uk gives opening dates and times as well as other details, particularly a summary of what is in the Museum.
References in the British Library:
- Materials for the History of the Town and Parish of Wellington in the County of Somerset.. London, 1908, etc.
- A sermon, preached September 13th, 1813, in the Parish Church, Wellington, in the County of Somerset ... by Thos. Carr. 1813
- Title Official Guide to Wellington, Somerset, Rural District, etc.. Century Press: London, [1949.]
|Wellington Methodist Church, Wellington|
|St John Fisher, Wellington|
- Roy Parkhouse has provided transcripts of Wellington St John Baptisms 1683-1812, Marriages 1683-1783 and Burials 1683-1812.
- David Cheek has transcribed some records from Wellington Baptist Church, Wellington Presbyterian Independent Church
Wellington Methodist Church and Wellington Parish Church.
- The section of The National Gazetteer (1868) relating to this parish - transcribed by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wellington to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Wellington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The Ordnance Survey 1:10560 County Series 1st edition (c.1884-1887) map of the area provided by Somerset Heritage Centre.
- The Ordnance Survey 1:10560 County Series 2nd edition (c.1900) map of the area provided by Somerset Heritage Centre.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST139207 (Lat/Lon: 50.979182, -3.227749), Wellington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)