"WEST BAGBOROUGH, a parish in the hundred of Taunton, and Taunton Dean, in the county of Somerset, 7 miles to the N. W. of Taunton, its post town. It is situated in a hilly and pleasant country on the western side of the Quantocks. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, of the value of £550, in the patronage of Adam Clarke, Esq. The church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity. Bagborough House, the Pophams' seat, stands on a lofty hill, and has fine views over the vale of Taunton." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Details of Somerset Heritage Centre holdings relating to this parish.
- West Bagborough Baptismal, Marriage and Burial Transcripts provided by Martin Southwood.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from West Bagborough to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which West Bagborough has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The Ordnance Survey 1:10560 County Series 1st edition (c.1884-1887) map of the area provided by Somerset Heritage Centre.
- The Ordnance Survey 1:10560 County Series 2nd edition (c.1900) map of the area provided by Somerset Heritage Centre.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST162335 (Lat/Lon: 51.094736, -3.198137), West Bagborough which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)