National Gazetteer (1868) - Yatton
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"YATTON, a parish in the hundred of Winterstoke, county Somerset, 12 miles S.W. of Bristol, 7 N. of Axbridge, and 4 S.E. of Clevedon. It is a station on the Bristol and Exeter section of the Great Western railway. The parish includes the ecclesiastical district of Cleeve, and the hamlets of Claverham, Hewish, and Kenn. It is watered by the river Yeo, and forms part of a plain extending nearly to the banks of the Severn. The surface is level, except in the district of Cleeve, in which the bills rise into rocky heights, partly clothed with wood and intersected by deep ravines or combs. Cleeve Toot, which rises to the height of 200 feet, is capped by a mass of rock, and near it is Cadbury Hill camp, an ancient fortification. Limestone abounds, and is quarried for building and for burning into lime. There are two villages, those of Yatton and Cleeve, the latter being about 2 miles distant on the road from Bristol to Weston-super-Mare.[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £435, in the patronage of the bishop. The parish church, dedicated to St. Mary, contains an antique font, an old register chest, and monuments to the Wyck and Newton families, one of which is of white sculptured alabaster, bearing effigies of Sir R. Caradoc Newton, Chief Justice of the Common Pleas in the reign of Henry VI., and his wife. There is besides a district church at Cleeve, erected in 1840 and dedicated to the Holy Trinity. The Wesleyans and Society of Friends have chapels, the latter at Claverham. There are National and infant schools. The charities produce about £60 per annum, including £10 to Lane's school. Robert Castle, Esq., of Cleeve is lord of the manor."
"CLAVERHAM, a hamlet in the parish of Yatton, in the county of Somerset, 10 miles S.W. of Bristol."
"HEWISH, a hamlet in the parish of Yatton, county Somerset, 6 miles N. of Axbridge, near the river Yeo."
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]