"ADDINGTON, a parish in the first division of the hundred of Wallington, in the county of Surrey, 3 miles to the S.E. of Croydon, and 13 from London. It is near the London and Brighton railway. William the Conqueror granted a carucate of land here to Tezelin, his cook, to be held by the singular tenure of presenting a mess of pottage to the king at his coronation. The manor of Addington, which now belongs to the primate, is held subject to this condition, and is mentioned in Domesday Survey."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]