An 1868 Gazetteer description of the following places in Addington
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"ADDINGTON, a parish in the first division of the hundred of Wallington, in the county of Surrey, 3 miles to the S.E. of Croydon, and 13 from London. It is near the London and Brighton railway. William the Conqueror granted a carucate of land here to Tezelin, his cook, to be held by the singular tenure of presenting a mess of pottage to the king at his coronation. The manor of Addington, which now belongs to the primate, is held subject to this condition, and is mentioned in Domesday Survey.[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury, value £206, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church is ancient, and contains two brasses of the year 1540. It is dedicated to St. Mary, and has undergone some very extensive repairs. It has a flint tower, containing four bells. The register dates from 1559.
There is a national school. Addington Place, near the village, is the seat of the archbishop. It was purchased of Alderman Trecothick in 1807, when the palace at Croydon was sold. Archbishop Sutton enlarged it, and it has been rebuilt by Archbishop Howley. Tradition makes the site a hunting-seat of Henry VIII. There is a fine view from the hills near Addington Common, and urns Have been dug up in the tumuli there; which are twenty-five in number, one of them measuring 40 feet in diameter. On the adjoining common, called Thunderfield, there is a circular encampment of two acres, surrounded by a double moat, the history of which is unknown."
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003] These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.