"ASH, a parish in the first division of the hundreds of Godley and Woking, in the county of Surrey, 4 miles to the N.E. of Farnham. It comprises the chapelry of Frimley, and the hamlet of Normanby. It lies in a hilly district on the borders of Hampshire, near the ridge of chalk hills called Hog's Back, and is intersected by the Basingstoke canal. Ash common is to the north of the village."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]