An 1868 Gazetteer description of the following places in Ash
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"ASH, a parish in the first division of the hundreds of Godley and Woking, in the county of Surrey, 4 miles to the N.E. of Farnham. It comprises the chapelry of Frimley, and the hamlet of Normanby. It lies in a hilly district on the borders of Hampshire, near the ridge of chalk hills called Hog's Back, and is intersected by the Basingstoke canal. Ash common is to the north of the village.[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £473, in the patronage of the Warden and Fellows of Winchester College. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. In addition to the parish church, there are two chapels of ease: one, St. Michael's, York Town, and the other at the hamlet of Frimley, the livings of which are perpetual curacies, the former, value £90, in the patronage of the Bishop of Winchester, and the latter, value £70, in that of the rector. There are charities amounting to £16. Ash Lodge is the principal residence."
"FRIMLEY, a chapelry in the parish of Ash, first division of the hundred of Godley, county Surrey, 1 mile N. of Farnborough, its post town and railway station on the South-Western line. It is situated near the river Blackwater.
The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Winchester, value £70, in the gift of the Rector of Ash, to which this is a chapel-of-ease. The chapelry partakes of the parochial charities. The Baptists have a chapel, and there are National and infant schools."
"NORMANDY, a tything in the parish of Ash, first division of Woking hundred, county Surrey, 4 miles N.W. of Guildford."
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003] These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.