"BARNES, a parish in the western division of the hundred of Brixton in the county of Surrey, about 1 mile from Mortlake, and 5 miles to the S.W. of London. It is a station on the Richmond railway. A loop line crosses the rive: by an iron bridge and connects this station with the Windsor railway at Hounslow. It is pleasantly situated on the Thames, along the bank of which is a handsome terrace."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]