An 1868 Gazetteer description of the following places in Barnes
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"BARNES, a parish in the western division of the hundred of Brixton in the county of Surrey, about 1 mile from Mortlake, and 5 miles to the S.W. of London. It is a station on the Richmond railway. A loop line crosses the rive: by an iron bridge and connects this station with the Windsor railway at Hounslow. It is pleasantly situated on the Thames, along the bank of which is a handsome terrace." (There is more of this description).[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003] These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.