"BATTERSEA, a parish and populous suburb of London, chiefly in the western, partly also in the eastern division of the hundred of Brixton, in the county of Surrey, 4 miles to the S. W. of London. It is a station on the West End branch of the South Coast and Crystal Palace railways. It lies on the south bank of the Thames, which is here crossed by two bridges, connecting the village with Chelsea. The parish includes the chapelries of Battersea Newtown, Christ Church, and Penge."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]