An 1868 Gazetteer description of the following places in Buckland
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"BUCKLAND, a parish in the first division of the hundred of Reigate, in the county of Surrey, 2 miles to the W. of Reigate, its post town. It is situated under Boxhill and Reigate Hill, on the N. edge of the Weald, near the London and South-Western railway. The river Mole, a branch of the Thames, runs a little to the S.W. of this place.[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, of the value of £337, in the gift of the Warden and Fellows of All Souls' College, Oxford. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. There are charitable endowments for the benefit of the poor amounting to £29 per annum. Buckland House is one of the chief residences."
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003] These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.