"CAPEL, a parish in the second division of the hundred of Wotton, in the county of Surrey, 6 miles to the S. of Dorking, its post town. The parish contains extensive moors. A curious circumstance, as related by Gough in his Additions to Camden, occurred here in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, which materially affected the nature of the soil: a large mound of peat earth on the moors suddenly glided down and covered over the lower lands, carrying with it hedges and fences until it stopped at a farm. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Winchester, value £84, in the patronage of the trustees of the Duke of Norfolk. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is in the early English style of architecture. In addition to the parish church there is a district church at Cold Harbour, the living of which is a perpetual curacy,* value £150, in the patronage of J. Labouchere, Esq. The Society of Friends have a meetinghouse here. The charities are of small value, amounting to £15 per annum."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]