An 1868 Gazetteer description of the following places in Clapham
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"CLAPHAM, a suburban parish in the eastern division of the hundred of Brixton, in the county of Surrey, 4 miles from St. Paul's. It has a railway station on the Metropolitan Extension branch of the London, Chatham, and Dover line, and another station on Clapham Common, known as Clapham Junction, on the London and South-Western line. The village has long been considered one of the handsomest and most respectable in the suburbs of London, comprising many elegant mansions and villas surrounded by gardens and pleasure-grounds." (There is more of this description)[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003] These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.