"COBHAM, a parish in the second division of the hundred of Elmbridge, in the county of Surrey, 5 miles S.W. of the Esher station of the South-Western line, and 10 N.E. of Guildford. It is situated on the river Mole, which abounds in pike, carp, trout, and other fish, and its banks are much resorted to by anglers. There were formerly large iron-works by this river, but the place is now chiefly used for carding woollen rags."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]