"COMPTON, a parish in the first division of the hundred of Godalming, in the county of Surrey, 4 miles N.W. of Guildford, its post town, and the same distance from Godalming. It is situated under Hog's Back Hill, and has attached to it the manors of Eastbury, Westbury, and Field Place. There is a large common."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]