"HATCHAM, a manor in the parish of Deptford St. Paul, East division of
the hundred of Brixton, county Surrey, 2 miles S.E. of Deptford. It is
mentioned in Domesday Survey as Hacheham, and was held by the Brixi, who
have given their name to Brixton hundred.
The living is a perpetual curacy*
in the diocese of London, value £160. The church is dedicated to St. James.
Hatcham House and Hatcham Manor House are the principal residences."
"NEW-CROSS, a hamlet in the parish of Deptford St. Paul, county Surrey,
half a mile S.W. of Deptford. It has stations on the London and Brighton
and South-Eastern railways. Here is situated the Royal Naval school for 200
sons of officers, built in 1835, and partially endowed by Dr. Bell. The
schoolhouse is a brick structure surrounding a court, and built from
designs of Sir Christopher Wren in the Elizabethan style of architecture."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]