"EAST HORSLEY, a parish in the second division of the hundred of Woking, county Surrey, 5 miles S.W. of Leatherhead, 6 N.E. of Guildford, and 2½ S.E. of Ripley, its post town. The northern part of the parish is flat and clayey, but the S. hilly, with a chalk subsoil. The higher lands abound in beech timber, and there is a considerable extent of wood and waste land. The arable and pasture are in nearly equal proportions. The main road from Leatherhead to Guildford crosses the interior, of the parish. The village is small, and wholly agricultural."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]