"EAST MOLESEY, a parish in the first division of the hundred of Elmbridge, county Surrey, 3 miles N.W. of Kingston, its post town, and 13 from London. It is situated to the S. of the Thames, where the river Mole, from which the place derives its name, unites with the Thames, nearly opposite Hampton Court. The South-Western railway has a station here for Hampton Court, with which it is connected by a bridge. There are corn and saw mills on the Mole. The land is nearly evenly divided between arable and meadow. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1815."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]