An 1868 Gazetteer description of the following places in East Molesey


The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868



"EAST MOLESEY, a parish in the first division of the hundred of Elmbridge, county Surrey, 3 miles N.W. of Kingston, its post town, and 13 from London. It is situated to the S. of the Thames, where the river Mole, from which the place derives its name, unites with the Thames, nearly opposite Hampton Court. The South-Western railway has a station here for Hampton Court, with which it is connected by a bridge. There are corn and saw mills on the Mole. The land is nearly evenly divided between arable and meadow. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1815.

The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Winchester, value £157, in the patronage of King's College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient brick structure, with a wooden belfry. It contains a curious brass to Anthony Standen, cup-bearer to King James of Scotland. The register commences in 1650. St. Paul's, Kent Town, is a separate ecclesiastical district on the W.

The living is a perpetual curacy,* value £100. There are National schools for boys, girls, and infants, having an endowment of £6 per annum. Lord Hotham and Lady Berkeley are the lord and lady of the manor.

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003] These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.